Chelmsford library has a total of over 15,000 volumes of books. It also has a collection of periodicals, journals, audio and video tapes. The library also subscribes to two local newspapers. The library is open to the teaching staff, support staff, students of St. Andrew’s College and external users upon payment of registration fee.
To be leading resource centre for learning and research in business and theological education and other related disciplines.
To offer access to information resources to support learning, research and other endeavours that support academic excellence.
· To provide information resources and facilities in line with the college’s academic and research interests.
· To organize and disseminate the information resources in support college’s mission.
· Provision of general or specific information
· Assistance in the use of information tools available in the library such as card catalogue
· Assistance in locating documents in the library.
· Conducting user education, which includes orientation, use of information tools, information retrieval and usage etc.
· Inter library loan services with other member libraries.
· Current awareness services (CAS) i.e. mailing lists of new books to various departments and displaying them on specific shelf meant for new arrivals.
Arrangements of Books
Books are arranged according to the Dewey Decimal Classification Scheme (DDC). In this classification scheme, each book has a specific corresponding number. Each book is examined individually and its subject content determined. The book is then assigned a class number that most closely fits the subject content. The class number is therefore an abbreviated description of the subject content of the book.
Locating of information resources
The information materials are arranged according to Dewey Decimal Classification System. This classification system runs from class 000 – 999.
The main classes are as follows:
100 Philosophy & Psychology
300 Social Sciences
500 Natural Sciences & Mathematics
600 Technology (Applied Sciences)
700 The Arts
800 Literature & Rhetoric
900 Geography & History
LIBRARY OPERATING HOURS.
MONDAY - FRIDAY
8.00 A.M. - 1.00 p.m.
2.00 p.m. - 10.00p.m.
8.30A.M. - 1.00 P.M.
2.00 P.M. - 10.00 P.M.
LUNCH: 1.00 P.M. - 2.00 P.M.
SUPPER: 7.00P.M. - 8.00 P.M.
NB: THE LIBRARY IS CLOSED ON SUNDAYS AND PUBLIC HOLIDAYS.
Postal address: P.O. Box 6 10300, Kerugoya.